After a few hours of fishing up Provo Canyon, the gang came home and then headed over to the pool to play and cool off on a hot day. Then we headed to Bountiful. Every year we go to Centerville for the parade. Most of the time we get up early to go. This year we decided to stay over at Grandma Riss' house the night before. A slumber party with the cousins is always fun for the kids.
This was too cute to pass up. Hailey and I decided to try the old velcro rollers to add some extra curls the night before the parade. Hailey has a ton of hair and after many, many hours her hair was still wet, this led to the old fashioned hair dryer of Aunt Joanna's. She thought it was the strangest thing she had ever seen:-) Another 40 minutes under this and she had had enough. The curlers came out and and she had the prettiest curls for about 1 hour. Her hair was still damp and the curls went limp. I think she sill stick with the hairdryer and curning iron. :-)
The Centerville Parade. Mike and I have been coming to this parade since before we were married. It has become tradition with our family. We sit in the same place, with the same people, year after year. It's a reunion of sorts. This is the only time of the year that we see some of our friends. The guy behind my kids doing the rabbit ears is Blane Zwahlen. Mike has know him since High School. We all started coming to this parade when we attended the same singles ward. Now we are all married with kids and are kids are now friends.
A group of people doing Karate came through the parade. One man brought a piece of wood up to Trenton, showed him what do, and he did it! He broke the wood in half on his first try. (I'm pretty sure it was rigged some how but I would never tell Trent that;))
Dani and Hailey each took a couple of turns on the climbing wall.
They both said it wasn't hard enough. Well la-de-da, who knew they were so tough!! ;-)
Stadium of Fire came later that night. Here is the gang just chillin and waiting for the show to start. We sat right next to Glenn L. Pace and his wife. (For those of you who don't know, he is a member of the Seventy.) I should have taken a picture with him in it, but I just didn't have the guts to do it. He was so nice and friendly, he was happy to meet each of us and chat. Mike actually got our tickets from him. (It's a long story so I won't get into it. But it's a good one:)
The military helicopters flew overhead as well as the jets. This gigantic flag has flow for many years, and this was its last. At the end of the show there was a ceremonial burning of the flag. I couldn't believe how emotional I got during everything about this night. I cried during the national anthem, I cried during the flag burning, I cried when the jets and helicopters flew over, I was just a mess all night long. My kids didn't know what was wrong with me. :) I told them it was good, and happy crying. It was just an unbelievable, amazing, awsome night!
Glen Beck was the host of the event. He too is a crybaby! :)
SheDaisy, local girls gone Nashville came "home" for the show. I did know many of their songs, but not all off them. One of the songs, "Please come home" aslo had me in tears. It's about the troops and dedicated to them. Loved the song!
Mike scored big points with the kids when he told them he had tickets to this. The Jonas Brothers were the headliners. They best part for the kids is when they called on the parents to stand up and rock out. For Mike this was not a problem, I am a little more reserved, but I did it and my kids were amazed. I actually had fun and even sang along to some of their songs, which also impressed my kids!
This year are cousins joined us. I think the biggest draw to the parade for the kids is the huge amounts of candy that is thrown out to crowd. They don't have enough pocket to carry the large amounts of candy they collect. Another thing they like is the Fair booths in the park afterwards. This year my kids won a fish to bring home. Last year it was a frog :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment