Social Leadership is a program that helps teach the kids (6th, 7th, & 8th Grades) social skills. During the school year there are few after school activities that the students learn to eat the right way and with the correct knife and fork. How to escort their date to and from the dance floor, table, buffet line, and other such scenarios. They also learned several different dances - Waltz, Cha Cha, Fox Trot, Swing, and a couple others. The "Culmination Ball" at the end of the year is where they put all the things they have learned to the test. :-) Now if we could only get them to use these table manners at home! lol !
Hailey and Mike (One of her many dance partners.) I love this picture!!!!
One of the last dances of the night the kids get to dance with their parents. It was so sweet to see all the kids dancing with a mom or a dad, even a couple of brothers showed up to dance with their sisters. How awsome is that?!!
Taking a break between dances to give her feet a break. This was her first experience in high heels. :) (Once again my computer is uploading pictures goofy :( )
The night is a big deal for these kids. I'ts like their prom. Fancy dresses, up-do hair do's for the girls. Tuxes, and extra hair gel for the boys. It amazing how some went from looking like kids to looking like young adults that night. :)

Doing the Waltz with Christian Aldrege. Another thing the kids did for the dance, they all had to fill out a dance card before the dancing began. The girls had to ask the boys for a dance, the boys asked the girls. Mike even got asked to sign a young ladies card and dance. It was so sweet how she came and asked him. I don't think I would have been brave enough to ask an adult when I was a kid ;-)
Hailey and Drake Anderson doing the swing.
Here she is with her dinner date, Sam Crofts. The kids were assigned dinner partners, but they were on their own to fill out their dance cards!
The John Hancock Charter School seventh grade class. A few of them even moved on to Jr. High School, after sixth grade, and came back for the "Social Leadership" program. For some it was their choice, for others I think it might have been the parents. ;-) Whatever the reason, it was a great night and all the kids had fun. I'm glad that I got to go and be a part of it all. The more I watched Hailey, the more grown up she seemed that night. It's exciting to see, but sad at the same time. Where did the time go?
Doing the Waltz with Christian Aldrege. Another thing the kids did for the dance, they all had to fill out a dance card before the dancing began. The girls had to ask the boys for a dance, the boys asked the girls. Mike even got asked to sign a young ladies card and dance. It was so sweet how she came and asked him. I don't think I would have been brave enough to ask an adult when I was a kid ;-)
1 comment:
How fun! She looks so pretty! I think that is a great program for the kids. I also love the blog background! I've been so lame in keeping up lately.
Post a Comment